Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:01:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Bubbie221 (at) aol(dot)com
Subject: Yiddish song

My father (born in Rumania in 1890) used to sing a song in Yiddish with
several verses. It told the story of a man who recently married a woman for
money, but who was so ugly and had so many physical problems, he had to hire
many artisans to work on the parts of her body. It starts with "Letzta Voch
hub ichh hasseneh gehut mit a maidl vus is mis vi di nacht" and goes on to
say (in Yiddish), but because she had so much money, I didn't care very much.
Then comes the litany of the people he had to hire to maintain her physical
problems. Itis quite funny and entertaining. My father has been gone for
almost 50 years, and my sisters and I keep trying to remember this song. Any
help would be appreciated. We have never heard this song in any other context.
          Edith Bergmann (daughter of Morris Vernick of Philadelphia)