Re: Nahamma

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Jewish Music Distribution wrote:

> I am looking for information about a Cantor called
> Nachamma originally from Salonicka who was then
> cantor for Berlin from the age of 18 in 1947 until 3
> years ago -does any one know of him and recordings?

Noa,

You're talking about Oberkantor Estrongo Nachama, who
was the chazzan of the Jewish community of Berlin until
he passed away.

He made many, many recordings (a lot of Lewandowski
stuff), and his records have been reissued on CD. These
are probably still readily available in Germany.

Personally I didn't like his singing---his style was
way too overdone for me.

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl