The Israeli music scene and cross-over artists

Hi Judith,

Sounds like a very interesting lecture! I'm a newcomer to Israeli music, but to
me it seems as if there is an amazing variety in the Israeli music scene-if you
explore a music site like Israeli music, you'll find anything from Western rock
and pop, to "Oriental" pop to cantorial works, klezmer and "ethnic" musics from
all over the world. It's amazing how many different musical traditions exist
side by side-which is, I guess, just a reflection of the demographic variety of
the Israeli people.

>Apparently many Palestinian kids are watching the same music videos as the
>Jewish kids, and many of the songs are just as popular with them.

I'm not familiar with the mainstream Israeli pop-rock scene, but from what I've
gathered some of the Mizrahi/Oriental artists have a great cross-over appeal.
Haim Moshe and Zehava Ben are popular among Palestinians and sell cassettes by
the thousands in the neighbouring Arab countries, and Palestinians like Samir
Shukry, or "the Druze boy" Sharif (who sing both in Hebrew and Arabic) are
popular among Israeli Jews. And-to my ears, there isn't much that separates
these artists musically-their music has its roots in the musical traditions of
the Arab world and the Eastern Mediterranean, with more than a sprinkling of
Western pop influences.

Another interesting phenomenon is the penetration of Greek music into the
musical landscape of Israel, which according to journalist Shimon Parnas is
something unique in the world. He points to the great popularity of artists
such as Glykeria and Giorgos Dalaras, and claims that if the late "laika"
singer Stelios Kazantzidis ever had come to Israel to sing, he would have
filled stadiums-which is quite remarkable since Kazantzidis was at his peak in
the fifties and sixties, and unlike Glykeria never got into the "world music"
market.

>He talked about how popular the sing-along tv shows are in Israel right
>now....Everyone is singing.

Maybe this is a kind of continuation of the Zionist "sing-along" tradition? Or
maybe it's because "Levantine" (in want of a better word!) audiences in general
participate more actively? I can't say anything about Israel, but, again, at
every Greek and Turkish concert I've been to *everyone* sang along with *every
song*-it seems as though folks learn the lyrics and melodies of popular songs
through a kind of "osmosis" (probably because they're belted out from cafes and
taverns all day long!;-)), and take great joy in singing along with the artists
on stage. Maybe something similar is happening in Israel?

Thanks for the info, and I'm looking forward to reading the playlist!

Eva

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->