Research on modality in klezmer music

on 31 Dec. Allen Watsky wrote:

> The Modal paper which formed the basis for the class is very important. I am
> unaware of any work that had been done prior to Josh's paper that treats the
> subject of these modes in this way.

My Ph.D. dissertation contains a chapter on modality in klezmer music (77
pp.): "The Art of the Klezmer: Improvisation and Ornamentation in the
Commercial Recordings of New York Clarinettists Naftule Brandwein and Dave
Tarras 1922-1929", Music Department, City University, London, 2001. I'm
assuming it will be available through UMI, but it isn't yet.

Some preliminary thoughts are contained in the article Alts nemt zikh fun
der doyne (Everything comes from the doina). The Romanian-Jewish Doina. A
Closer Stylistic Examination, in: Proceedings of the First International
Conference on Jewish Music, City University, London, April 1994, London:
City University, 1997, pp. 133-164, which (I think) is available through
Alex Knapp of SOAS, University of London.

Joel Rubin