Re: Falasha music

Beta Israel.

From: http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Judaism/ejhist.html

<
"Once they were kings. A half million strong, they matched their faith with
fervor and out-matched the Moslem and Christian tribesmen around them to
rule the mountain highlands around Lake Tana. They called themselves Beta
Israel-the house of Israel-and used the Torah to guide their prayers and
memories of the heights of Jerusalem as they lived in their thatched huts in
Ethiopia.
But their neighbors called them Falashas-the alien ones, the invaders. And
even three hundred years of rule, even the black features that matched those
of all the people around them did not make the Jews of Ethiopia secure
governors of their destiny in Africa" ("Falashas: The Forgotten Jews,"
Baltimore Jewish Times, 9 November 1979).

sl