Chicago indie-rockers light menorah, write new songs for 5th Annual "Hooray fo

Please forgive the shameless plug....

"It’s not the same old Hanukah of our youth.  This is hard-rock Hanukah, "
says Ellen Rosner, singer/songwriter and founder of Hooray 4 Hanukah.  Rosner
should know.  Raised in Rogers Park, home to Chicago's Orthodox Jewish
community, her Jewish overnight camp experiences led her to pick up a guitar
and down the path of a rock musician.  Each year for the past five years,
Rosner and bicycle activist John Greenfield have celebrated that heritage by
tapping friends in the rock community to participate in the event, which is
now a holiday tradition.

Each participating act writes a new song about some aspect of the Jewish
holiday or updates an old one.  Last year, Asian punk band KIM performed a
searing cover of "Dreidl," Eric Roth and the Silver Schmateez played a
Zappa-esque "don't u wanna touch my hanukah?" while Kelly Kessler (of the
Wichita Shut-ins) delivered a stirring new "Ballad of Judah Maccabee."

Serving as Chicago’s unofficial indie-rock Hanukah party, Hooray 4 Hanukah
will celebrate its fifth anniversary by adding a second show.  "It’s like
putting another candle on the menorah.  Or the birthday cake," says Rosner.
The first show is on November 30th at The Hideout and the second on December
7th at Nevin's Live in Evanston.

"What's cool is that the some of the artists and a good number of the
audience aren't Jewish, but they come out to support the event and the
holiday."  And the event is not without a sense of humor: attendees have to
spin a dreidl to determine their entry fee, and in the middle of the show,
Latkes, doughnuts and Chinese food, "All traditional Hanukah foods," insists
Rosner, are served.

Sharing the stage with Rosner this year are Greg Gillam, Geoff Greenberg,
John Greenfield's Rock Band, Dag Juhlin, KIM, Love on the Rocks, Mystechs, Al
Rose, Eric Roth and the Silver Schmateez, S.L. Wisenberg and Tommi Zender.

They are joined by Kfar Jewish Arts Center, which promotes contemporary
Jewish arts and culture events. "I’m excited about Hooray 4 Hanukah," says
its director, Adam Davis. "Ellen is one of our artistic associates, and these
new rock songs about Hanukah are in line with our mission to stimulate the
next generation of Jewish expression."  Besides, it might be the only Jewish
thing some people do all year, and I'm glad its a fun event like this."

Additional information and advance tickets are available at <A
HREF="http://www.kfarcenter.com/emailindex.html";>
www.kfarcenter.com</A>.

Vital Event Information:
When:       Saturday, November 30, 8pm (21 +)
Where:  The Hideout, 1354 W. Wabanasia in Wicker Park       AND

When:       Saturday, December 7, 8pm (special 18 + up show)
Where:  Nevin's Live, 1450 Sherman in Evanston

Both shows:     $8 in advance (<A
HREF="http://www.kfarcenter.com/emailindex.html";>www.kfarcenter.com</A>) or $7
+ dreidl spin @ the
door & take a chance!

Contact information:
Adam Davis, Kfar Jewish Arts Center, 773.550.1543, adamrdavis (at)
kfarcenter(dot)com,
<A HREF="http://www.kfarcenter.com/emailindex.html";>www.kfarcenter.com</A>

Upcoming Kfar Jewish Arts Center events:
Nosh and Mosh with Jewish punk bands: Australia's YIDCORE and NY's MENSCH.
"Provocative" Jerusalem Report    "Smart" Chicago JUF News      "Hilarious"
Razorcake
12/14, 8pm @ Congregation Makom Shalom, 637 S. Dearborn, Chicago

Jews, Blacks and Latinos celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision through
Hip-Hop:
Featuring Brooklyn's Latino-Jewish Hip-Hop Hoodios and Chicago's Jewish/Black
Organic Mind Unit.
1/18 10pm @ The Note (Wicker Park) &1/19 8pm @ The HotHouse (South Loop)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->