From: <SICULAR (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 12:28 AM
Subject: MetroKlez: Tues 11/26 @The Knit (& Klezbos/Metro Hanuka!)

Pre-holiday TUESDAY, NOV. 26  at The Knitting Factory's Main Space
METROPOLITAN KLEZMER at 8:00 PM   [doors open 7:30pm]
Just $10   Last full-band MetroKlezmer NYC show of 2002!
Spread the word to out-of-town visitors, friends & family
New tunes~ all 8 players~ more details below
"virtuosity aplenty" - Shaun Dale, cosmikdebris.com
Club: 212-219-3006   www.knittingfactory.com   74 Leonard St, Tribeca

Not in NYC Thanksgiving week?  Then don't miss Hanuka & Xmas shows...
>>        ISLE OF KLEZBOS — back to Brooklyn!!  & SUNY Purchase:
Thur, 12/5  **Park Slope ** Congr. Kolot Chayeinu, 1012-8th Ave/Bkln,
7pm-9pm
   plus a Hanuka party for all ages (pre-show, from 5pm on) - contact info
below!
Wed, 12/4 at SUNY Purchase College, Purchase NY: 9:00 PM
>>>       METROPOLITAN KLEZMER — Caramoor redux & MJH debut:
Sun, Dec 8 at Caramoor (2pm & 4pm - full eight-piece band in N. Westchester)
Wed, Dec 25 The Museum of Jewish Heritage, Battery Park area/NYC (3pm)

More complete December show info in our next email, or to find out now:
www.metropolitanklezmer.com or 212-475-4544
(for Dec 5th Klezbos ticket prices & Hanuka pre-show party details,
please email Thandi, thandi_e (at) hotmail(dot)com
or visit synagogue website www.kolotchayeinu.org; tel 718-390-7493)

Formed in 1994 by drummer/leader Eve Sicular, METROPOLITAN KLEZMER
is the collaborative adventure of eight exceptional New York musicians
creating inspired interpretations and originals around Yiddish repertoire
from all over the map.  The band welcomes in Thanksgiving (and Hanuka!  and
2003!)
with a panorama of revved-up and evocative tunes — song and dance of
the 19th-c. underworld, tenement weddings, and ’20s Moscow Yiddish theater;
a surprise adaptation from Lionel Bart [né Begleiter]’s ’60s musical
Oliver!
;
and a jumping swing take on an old-school tailor’s chant.
The band performs their latest from Metro’s upcoming release
and from Rounder Records’ 2003 compilation disc,  The Secret Garden.

With:
 ISMAIL BUTERA - accordion & bendir
 RICK FAULKNER - trombone
 PAM FLEMING - trumpet & fluegelhorn
 MICHAEL HESS - violin, ney flute & kanun zither
 DAVE HOFSTRA - bass & tuba
 DEBORAH KARPEL - vocals
 DEBRA KREISBERG - clarinet & alto saxophone
 EVE SICULAR - drums

ISLE OF KLEZBOS, the soulful, fun-loving powerhouse all-female klezmer
sextet...
Founded in 1998, approaching tradition with irreverence, exuberance and
respect.
These December dates are our first public Klezbos shows since we're back
from our West Coast tour and studio sessions for the next CD!
Featuring:
PAM FLEMING - trumpet & fluegelhorn
RACHELLE GARNIEZ - accordion
DEBORAH KARPEL - vocals
DEBRA KREISBERG - clarinet & alto saxophone
CATHERINE POPPER - bass
EVE SICULAR - drums

For both bands:
www.metropolitanklezmer.com   212-475-4544