Re: "Hatikvah"

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Bob Wiener wrote:

> I wonder what they would play if an Israel would win a medal at the
> Olympics.  But that doesn't make it Israel's National Anthem.

Official or not, Hatikvah is certainly Israel's national anthem. When an
Israeli wins a medal in the Olympics, Hatikvah is played.
Just about a month (give or take) an Israeli, Auerbach, won the gold medal
for weight lifting at the the olympics in Munich. How symbolic;  after all
the years that had passed since the slaughter of our athletes there.
Hatikvah was played and the tears ran down his face (mine too, while
watching).

Shana Tova to all,

Ryna Kedar
Head, Acquisitions & Cataloging Division
The Felicja Blumental Music Center & Library
Tel-Aviv, Israel