Yiddish music at the Conference on Judaism in Rural New England

If you don't already know about the Conference on Judaism in Rural
New England, you should know that it's a wonderful experience.
Especially for people living in small communities, some without
rabbis, it's a chance to learn with wonderful teachers.  It's coming
up in just two weeks, on the weekend of June 21-23 in Lyndonville,
VT.  You can find out more about it at
        http://www.cjrne.org/

We (The Wholesale Klezmer Band) will be teaching and performing at
this year's conference.  On Saturday night, after Havdalah, we'll be
leading the audience through the musical and dance portions of a
traditional Jewish wedding.  On Sunday morning, we'll be offering
workshops in

        What makes Jewish music Jewish -- a discussion of melody,
rhythm and harmony, exploring both the universal Jewish elements in
Yiddish music and those unique to Eastern European Jewish culture.

and
        Lakhn mit Trern (Laughing with Tears) -- a discussion about
melodies, prayers, Yiddish songs and customs that demonstrate the
Jewish marriage of laughter with tears.

After that, we have to rush off to perform for a real wedding in
Burlington, VT.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band