RE: Update on KlezFest London

Dear Rokhl

You might like to stay for Klezmer-on-the-Cam an idyllic two day event at
Peterhouse one of the oldest colleges and hosted by Sir Aaron Klug, Nobel
laureate.  It will be over the long weekend Sunday 25 and Monday 26 August.
It includes Klezmer music, dance and song and instrumental training with
Merlin Shepherd and also Lucie Skeaping and The Burning Bush, also a punt on
the cam before supper.

If any list members would like a detailed programme, please email me and I
will send it. It?s a table so it has to be an attachment.  I append here a
blurb about it and contact details.

I don?t know of any events just at the time you mention.  Sorry ? but we are
doing our best, short of taking over the whole London summer programmes.

?Klezmer on the Cam?,  Peterhouse, Cambridge

On Sunday 25 and Monday 26 August the walls of Cambridge's oldest college,
Peterhouse, will resound with the sounds of music, song and dance of the
Klezmer at the Klezmer on the Cam two-day event. For those whose interests
are more factual, there are concurrent events with instrumental, vocal and
dance workshops. Anna Tzelniker, the doyenne of the Yiddish Theatre, will
give a picture of the Yiddish theatre and its influence even today. In
keeping with the Jewish love of exegesis, there will be a three-way
discussion between renowned writer, Dan Jacobson, Professor of Divinity,
Nicholas de Lange and Nobel Laureate, Aaron Klug, on the topic ?A View from
the Garden of Eden? with audience participation. Ethnomusicologist Ruth
Davis will give us a flavour of the music of Palestine of the early 20th
century compiled from the remarkable Lachmann archive.  With film, writing
workshops and Merlin Shepherd in charge of the instrumental workshops plus a
wonderful concert from Lucie Skeaping and the Burning Bush, participants can
be sure of a stimulating, once in a lifetime experience in a glorious
setting; and weather permitting, a punt on the Cam and a participatory final
party.  The amazingly low cost of £85 includes 3 meals a day and all events.
Join Us!

Contact: P O BOX 206, Cambridge CB1 7WJ
Tel  01223 248 959
e-mail: KlezmerOnCam (at) aol(dot)com