Laughter Through Tears

I obtained this from several sources on the Internet.  The wording
between these sometimes varies very slightly, but the message is much
the same. Quoting Shostakovich (as said to Solomon Volkov, author of
Dmitri's memoir, "Testimony"):

"Jewish folk music has made a most powerful impression on me. I never
tire of delighting in it; it's multifaceted and can appear to be
quite happy while it is tragic. It's almost always laughter through
tears. This quality of Jewish folk music is close to my ideas of what
music should be. There should always be two layers in music. Jews
were tormented for so long that they learned to hide their despair.
They express despair in dance music."

Ethan Minovitz
Vancouver, British Columbia

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail