Re: Consonantal Ayin (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:30:20 +0000
From: Victor Tunkel <V(dot)Tunkel (at) qmul(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: jewishshulmusic (at) yahoogroups(dot)com
Subject: Re: [jewishshulmusic] Re: Consonantal Ayin (fwd)

I have no expertise on the ayin "ng" origins, and merely offer an
observation.  Julius Mombach, the doyen of Anglo-Jewish synagogue music for
the 19th century and much of the 20th, has ng ayins throughout his book
(1881).   To be accurate, it was not done by him but after his death by
Hazzan Keizer of the Great Synagogue, London, from MSS left by Mombach
after his 51 years as choirmaster there.  Whether this means that Mombach
adopted this style from London Sephardi influence, I don't know.  He
himself was an out-and-out Yekke.  Certainly none of the other contemporary
Anglo-Jewish ashkenazi composers (Saqui, Wasserzug, F.L. Cohen) use ng.
The present-day  London Sephardi siddur still has ngs.

I have to say that when singing some of Mombach's duller pieces it is
stimulating to be suddenly presented with an explosion (nishbang!) or the
odd village in India (Bangabur).  What a pity these were filletted out of
the standard versions when republished in our "Blue Book".

Victor Tunkel

To subscribe:       jewishshulmusic-subscribe (at) yahoogroups(dot)com
To unsubscribe:     jewishshulmusic-unsubscribe (at) yahoogroups(dot)com
List owner:         jewishshulmusic-owner (at) yahoogroups(dot)com