Re: Consonantal Ayin

At 03:36 PM 3/6/02, I. Oppenheim wrote:
>And Ma'ariv is often pronounced as Mayref, which is
>also a consonant rendition of the vocal 'Ayin.

I don't believe that the "ay" vowel by itself is relevant to this issue,
since a dialectal shift from a long Yiddish "ah" vowel to "ay" is not
uncommon.  If you're saying that there is a nasalization in Dutch "Mayref",
then that is a different Maynseh.
I recently learned that Nusach Roma also has the consonantal "Ngayin".
Since the early history of Yiddish has an important Italian component,
perhaps this is the missing link among the three contexts we noted of this
sound.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ