Chava Alberstein - Foreign Letters

The CD is now available from JMD and you can purchase it with all credit
cards!!...

£15.99 - 20% discount.

Chava Alberstein

"Foreign Letters" : Bridging Worlds

'How do you pronounce your name in your country?/ Can you write it down for
me?. I love foreign letters/ They are like drawings/ They are like secret
signs/ From Magic places/ From Different worlds'

Chava Alberstein has been travelling, to different worlds, magic places, and
then returning home again. "The last three years I have been singing outside
Israel a lot. I think I needed some fresh air. Israel is the source of my music
and like most artists I have an endless dialogue with those sources and with
what Israel is. The country's complexities and contradictions are part of me
because it is my homeland, part of me since my beginnings when I arrived there
as a baby. But it can be very intense at home and on occasion you can feel a
little suffocated by that atmosphere. So I have been working with musicians
around the world whose concerns are sometimes similar but also different as
they come from other places with other cultural contexts. It has been good to
get away and then come back home again."

'Foreign Letters' maps Chava's larger reflections on the last three years,
through songs like 'Bikoret Darkonim' (Passport Control), 'A Heym' (Back Home)
and the song Foreign Letters itself. The album breaks new ground as for the
first time song lyrics move between Hebrew and Yiddish, Israel's two languages,
juxtaposing reflective moods with the upbeat, intermingling Chava's own songs
with musical settings she has composed for Hebrew and Yiddish poems.

If there is one song on 'Foreign Letters' that captures its' spirit, it is 'Oyf
A Barg A Hoykhen' (High Atop A Mountain). With assertively plucked guitar and
accordion flourishes, Chava's voice offers a melody with the catchy charm of a
folk dance, for a poem written maybe 40 or 50 years ago by Kadia Molodowsky. It
tells the story of two birds in two green trees with spreading branches at the
top of a mountain.' One sings out at sunrise/ The other when its gone'. It is
one of Chava's favourite songs, "I am in love with both birds and their songs.
I like the happy crazy fun songs, sung at sunrise, and the nostalgic sad ones,
mourning the passing of the day at sunset. It expresses the atmosphere of the
album and the fact that for the first time ever I am singing songs in both
Hebrew and Yiddish. In Israel, Hebrew is the song of the modern world, the song
of the new-day, while singing in Yiddish is singing about the past."

This complex mix of old and new is intrinsic to the album as it is to today's
Israel. It's a first for Chava and a first for Israel to have an artist sing in
both languages on a disc. And if people speak of the music of Chava Alberstein
as standing for Israeliness, then it is for the richness and varied roots of
that culture and her own.

Her setting of Ziame Telesin's 'Bletterfal' (Leaves Fall) calls on
Mediterranean sounds, its cosmopolitan mood acknowledging the huge influence of
French and Belgian chanson, notably seminal songwriters Jacques Brel and George
Brassens, "People talk of me as another Joan Baez but it is not something I
would call myself. As a child my father listened to classical music, my brother
to jazz, and there was lots of European music in our house as well as all the
music you find in Israel which comes from so many places in the Middle East,
North Africa, all parts of Europe, Spain, Greece, even South America.

There are as many sources as you find in a country of so many immigrants. In my
teens Pete Seeger inspired me. But before that exposure to North American
culture there was always for me the European chanson of Brasssens and Brel.
They are my two cultural heroes."

In many ways the lyrics of 'Leaves Fall' mirror the situation of the Yiddish
language, "it's about different kinds of leaves in winter: some fall quickly,
others are stubborn and hang on to the tree to the last moment and sometimes a
lone leaf survives the winter. It's a beautiful image of life, a metaphor for
the human situation. Yiddish as a language was the language of merchants and it
has absorbed words from many languages in it - German, Romanian, Polish,
Russian and much more. Yiddish enabled people to communicate across Europe. It
has that pan-European flavour and came to symbolise the diaspora. It was the
language of the Jews exiled for 2000 years. And it has hung on like the leaf in
modern Israel"

Chava gives a lilting dance feel to the music for Mikhl Wirth's Mirele, "This
is what I like to do, to write songs that echo somewhere inside people, with a
music they catch onto and remember. If you put 'le' on the end of a girls' name
it's like saying 'little love': it makes it friendly and intimate. I found
these words in an anthology of poetry and I fell in love with music inside
them. Mirele is a shopkeeper's daughter who all her life shuns men until she is
old and grey and realises too late what she has given up. It is sad but I think
there is something proud there."

Both words and music for 'Adisha' (Indifferent) are written by Chava herself.
Upbeat and fast the music almost belies the power of the lyrics.

"'Indifferent' is a protest song in a way. And it is far from indifferent! Many
things in today's world make me angry, especially the indifference people show
to issues from injustice to ecology. The basic tension in this song comes from
using Hebrew word play, rhyming the word for 'diapers' (baby's nappies) with
that for 'torture', because in Hebrew the word for both is very similar. One is
sweet, evoking the image of the newborn baby, while the other introduces the
frightening question of torture and how far will people go to get information
they think they need from people they construe as their enemy. The song is a
mixture comments on the priorities of those only interested in knowing the
value of the money markets. The music is designed to draw people in and make
that message thought provoking, not condemning anyone but trying to get them to
think."

So how important can a song be Chava - can it change the world? "I always say
that a song changes me. It changes my life to write it. The song comes to you.
And maybe you can give hope and inspiration. I believe good art makes you a
better person. It is the most important thing in life for me. I believe in art.
I live for it. It is my religion in a way. It is not just the lyrics and music
but the images they give, the energy, the feelings. I think artists are
inspired they can be are like messengers, staying honest and true."

"It is like me singing in Yiddish which I used to do only privately. People
associate Yiddish with the holocaust, when as a language it was killed with the
many millions of people. With Israel, a miracle happened when Hebrew, the
language of scholars, which had not been spoken for 2000 years, was re-born and
came alive again. But it has meant that some people see Yiddish as the language
of the weak, those who lost. Hebrew is preferred as the modern language of
strength. But like others I think that Yiddish is alive and should be so
publicly.

Knowing and speaking Yiddish makes me richer as a person. I value both
languages and the history and values they hold within them. If we want to
eclipse one with the other, then what does it tell us? If we cannot live in
peace with both, how can we make peace with our neighbours?"

Chava has composed music for Hebrew poet Arik Rudich's 'Al Ta'amini' (Liar).
Its searing violins evoke a Hungarian-Romanian feel, while it deals with her
subject is the need of women not to be naïve, of the possible betrayal of women
by men, "It's an issue for women everywhere, how to trust and know who to
trust. I have empathy with that."

'Soolam' (The Ladder), her own ballad with its beautiful guitar and accordion
partnership, takes up the theme of searching for happiness and success, and the
many ways people do it, pushing onwards and upwards, up and on, but 'It's not
easy, wait and see for yourself.' She concludes that while everyone has to make
their own way, it might be better to 'stay together.' Her setting of Rachel
Shapira's Hebrew poem is lyrical and ethereal, "I love this song. It's about
friendship and trust and is the most romantic on the album. It's a picture of
two lovers and their secret world where their passion has even the most fiery
of animals awed and eating out of their hands." Has she then just fallen in
love again? "No I always feel like this, all the time. It is love to me!"

The meditative 'Gebet Fun A Meidel' (A Maiden's Prayer) is like a rock-lullaby.
"You put the text in front of your eyes and things start to happen. This is
what came out. It's a mixture of the sad and the strong. The words are a little
naïve but there is something there of faith and looking for protection and that
vulnerability has depth for me"

A nostalgic accordion and klezmer-like violin playing a slow dance frames the
moving 'A Heym' (Back Home), sliding into a drum heavy rhythm with Chava
singing in a Marlene Dietrich voice reminiscent of a Berlin cabaret, "Sometimes
I cry when I sing this because of the complex sentiments. Someone may want to
begin life again, simply and humbly get in touch with the life of their
grandparents but they may be fearful and so their words can be taken either
ironically or sincerely."

If Chava sheds tears singing 'Back Home', her listeners may be moved by the
yearning in her voice for Karmi's 'Dimui' (Image) with its chamber ensemble of
piano, guitar, 'cello and bass. "A Brazilian feel came here somehow when I had
that image of the fishermen and life and death."

Her poignant final song, 'Foreign Letter', composed in English, returns to the
knotty problem of language and communication. This time not the eclipsing role
of Hebrew over Yiddish, but her exchanges as a world traveller, "When I sing to
audiences abroad I explain something about my songs to them and I hope they
understand me. Abroad people also ask me questions, mostly the same simple yet
powerful questions and when you hear them from people in different places they
become like the lines of a poem even though they are very basic exchanges. And
that was how that song was born. Thinking of all those I have met and the
dialogues we have had, "How do you say "love"? / In your language?/ Can you
write it down for me? Oh how beautiful/ Can you say it one more time?/ Can I
try too?/ Oh, How do you say "thank you?"' This serene serenade to her travels
which have inspired these songs will undoubtedly change us as they have changed
her, for as Chava says, "A song changes me, it changes my life to write
it."(Jan Fairley)

Yours

Noa Lachman
Jewish Music Distribution