Re: goose

on 2/4/02 6:52 AM, Judith R Cohen at judithc (at) YorkU(dot)CA wrote:

> By the way, about that name "jew's harp"..... I've been told it's a
> deformation of "jaw's harp". In other languages I know of it has totally
> unrelated names, e.g. "berimbau" in Portuguese - it seems to have this
> name only in English. Cheers, Judith

Also known as; trump, guimbardes, munngiga (Sweden), dremba (Romania),
genggong (Bali), khomus (Tuva), to name a few. Instruments of this type are
found in many cultures throughout the world, usually made of metal (fun to
play in the frigid climates of its origin) or bamboo in Asia. I've always
found it curious that although it's called a Jew's Harp, I've yet to find
any mention of Jews (excepting contemporary players such as myself) playing
this instrument.

Seth

--
Seth Austen