  From: ADAVIS
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 9:54 AM
  Subject: cantorial sampling

  Gut Shabbes all.

  Forgive me if this topic has been covered in the past and for drifting from
Klezmer.

  I recently picked up 2 discs- Wally Brill's "Covenant" and Zohar's
"onethreeseven".  Both would probably fall into a category one might best call
ethno-ambient/tanztrance/techno/world music.

  What interested me was their very reverent sampling prayers sung by chazzanim
like Koussevitsky, Pinchik and Malavesky for use within the music as subject
matter, melodic theme and modal anchor.

  Has anyone else heard these recordings?  Any thoughts on the use of sampling
of Jewish music to create new Jewish music, or on these recordings in general?

  Adam
  Chicago

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->