Re: tortured souls

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 SamWeiss (at) bellatlantic(dot)net wrote:

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your remarks.

I totally agree that my formulations where unclear and unsatisfactory.
All I wanted to say is that Yom Kippur commences about 40 minutes
before the chazzan starts 'Bishivah shel Ma'lah' and 'Kol Nidre.'
All the regulations of Yom Kippur come into force that early,
among which the regulations of Inuy Nefesh are most notable.

The prohibition of instrumental music indeed does not derive from
Inuy Nefesh, but rather from Zekher Lechurban: in commemoration of
and morning over the destruction of the Temple, no instrumental music is
allowed shabbatot, yamim tovim, Yom Kippur, and Bein Hametsarim.

'Mortification of the soul' was indeed the term that I was looking
for, but could not find. (My native tongue is Dutch.)

I hope we will all be in Yerushalayim before the
next Tish'ah Be'av.

A Tortured Soul,
Irwin Oppenheim.