Re: How do you know?

"Family tradition"--i.e., being told by your father!--is indeed the only way
we "know"; but keep in mind that men with last names like "Levin," "Levine,"
and such are very likely, I suspect, to be kohens, too.

--Robert Cohen (Nuff said?  Nope, that name was adopted at Ellis Island--but
adopted *because* my father knew he was a kohen.)

P.S.  One more thing should be added:  Say, G*d forbid, you lost your father
(and, let's say, other family) as an infant; or for some other unusual
reason, you have no one to ask.  If you know where your father's father (or,
perhaps, your father, G*d forbid) is buried, visit their grave.  If it has a
depiction of upraised hands (what I gather people know as the Star Trek
position!--Oy!), then the deceased was a kohen.