Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 01:18:18 -0500
From: sam(dot)weiss (at) juno(dot)com
To: i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl
Subject: Shney Zeytim/Maoz Tzur

The process of comparing the Dutch Shney Zeytim melody and the Marcello
Maoz Tzur tune revealed a sufficient structural resemblance between the
two to provide an interesting support -- from a different angle -- for
Werner's conjecture of a musical connection between the two Piyyutim. It
seems safe to say that the elaborate Dutch melody has at its core the
simpler Marcello Maoz Tzur tune (see especially the arch of the two
opening measures). This is certainly not to say that one is a variant (or
even a development) of the other, but that the Dutch melody at least
implies a "memory" of the Marcello melody.

BTW, in talking to a friend mind about this topic, he told me about the
Dutch/Yiddish equivalent of "Dreaming of a white Shabbos Chanukah" based
on the phrase "Shney (="snow") Zeysim".
Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ