Re: "losing the composer"

I share Lorele's interest (she is *not* alone!) in ascertaining the real
composer of the "Dreydl" tune, though I'm not sure we're going to succeed!
Have to say I no longer consider it awful or insipid--probably because I've
heard so many inspired versions of it:  doo-wop/a cappella/calypso/reggae.

Otherwise, Judy's account of melodies that "lost their composer" is one I'm
familiar with from many examples, and I enjoyed her narratives--esp. re
Gebertig, which I was not familiar with.  (I _was_ familiar with Rabbi
Goldfarb's reported frustration at not being credited with his now nearly
universal melody; before his death, he was advised that it was being sung in
_India,_ where it was regarded, of course, as "traditional.")

Moshe Nathanson supposedly recounted a similar tale (to Gebertig's) with
regard to his benching (Grace after Meals) melody; and Shlomo Carlebach,
z"tl, of course, was victimized (or, in some ways, honored)by this practice
continually; he apparently stopped singing his melody for "Eilecha, Hashem
Ekra" from the 30th Psalm (which is really Chanukah music, by the way) after
the Pirchei boys choir recorded it, sometime in the late 60s (maybe early
70s), I think, without attributing it.  (He started singing it again in his
last few years, and I had the privilege of joining in that singing at his
shul.)

I once told a lecture audience about the phenomenon of songs losing their
composer and becoming accepted as "traditional" or "anonymous" (or,
certainly, "folk") songs.  A member of the audience asked me afterwards if
I'd like to have an LP of early Orthodox folk music that she didn't need (to
which I eagerly assented, of course, as I collect every liturgical folk
music LP I can find); when she sent it to me, I found two Shlomo
tunes--noted, respectively (I kid you not) as "traditional" and "anonymous."
  And one had only been *composed* by Shlomo maybe six months before they
issued the record!!

Then again, Mark Warshawsky's "Oif'n Pripichek" ("The Alef-Bet Song") was
being sung and maybe published, I remember reading, as a "folk song"
throughout Eastern Europe maybe six months after he wrote it.

--Robert Cohen

>In the case of this, (in >my opinion, awful insipid) melody, (if it's the
>one I'm thinking about) it's likely it came from some children's music, and
>possibly not even originally Jewish at all, but possibly adopted, given the
>strict metrical nature, ababcdcd phrase form, and the upbeat and accent on
>1st downbeat.

I have known for a fact, for example, that melodies composed very late in