Re: "White Christmas" (Was ho ho who?)

It has been said, or written--and maybe posted to this list (maybe by
me?)--that Berlin may have helped de-Christianize Christmas, so to speak
(hence making it, and its season, less threatening to Jews), with his
song--which evokes associations that anyone can share and so
quasi-universalizes certain aspects of Christmas, while benignly ignoring
its religious underpinning.

Obviously one might understand and evaluate that in many different
ways--and, as it happens, I'm no fan at all of "White Christmas," or of
Berlin, for that matter--but I can see some validity to this take on the
song.  OTOH, the song may also have made it easier for far too many Jews to
make Christmas part of their own lives, a la Anne Roiphe's notorious NY
Times Op-Ed of years ago.

--Robert Cohen