mini-disc quality

Hi,
I'm planning to do Klez Kamp this year (unless it's already sold out) but I am
worried about my mini-disc, a Sony RZ-37.  I recorded a performance recently
and noticed a drop-out about every 45-60 seconds, just a split-second of
nothing.

I was wondering if this is typical of a defective disc, except that digital
devices are supposed to do error correcting, or so one would suppose.  Anyway

I'm not sure whether to trash the damn thing and go back to my trusty Sony
cassette recorder or what.  This was with AC adapter into an old wall socket in
a church hall, fresh batteries, and a fresh battery in the mike.

I've never had great luck with this unit; the batteries never lasted more than
about 40 minutes even though a charge is supposed to last several hours.
Anyway I'm quite upset about the ruined recording and I don't want to take a
chance unless there's some obvious fix!  Thanks for advice,

Terry