Re: Virus infected mail

In a message dated 11/26/01 2:39:04 PM, sieb (at) sympatico(dot)ca writes:

<< Marvin wrote:
> I received an e-mail message from borzykowski (at) infomaniak(dot)ch, on
> the subject
> of Jewish music, that Norton Antivius flagged as infected with the
> W32(dot)Badtrans(dot)B (at) mm virus.  I tried to reply to him, but the
> message wasn't
> delivered.

Yes, indeed!   Here is the notice I sent around this AM to my own e-list;
notice the reason why any warnings you send back to the sender get
bounced.:

"Just a heads up that there is yet another virus making the rounds.
Just this morning I received three emails, from people that I know,
with blank messages (HTML).

This latest virus is called W32(dot)Badtrans(dot)B (at) mm

More info at:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/w32(dot)badtrans(dot)b (at)
mm(dot)html

You can tell that your email correspondent has it, because you will
receive a "blank" email in HTML, from someone you know, (they have
your address in their address book). This email may, or may not have
an attachment (depending on your virus protection).  Any attempt to reply
to this email will be foiled, because the virus adds a "_" to the senders'
address, thus bouncing  your warning. Example: my original attempt to
warn one correspondent was  foiled, because the virus changed his address
to  <_kc4slk (at) csrlink(dot)net>,  from his original <kc4slk (at)
csrlink(dot)net>.

You know the drill... DON'T OPEN ATTACHMENTS.
USE A GOOD VIRUS SCANNER!"

Ed Sieb

Wow, thanks for those details. I too received an html message from a
recognized email address but, because of time, just moved on.
Whoa...
thanks.
adrianne