Re: Yiddishkayt & Israelis

Lorele et al,

This exchange reminds me of a recent incident, which may put a positive spin
on the state of Yiddish (and Yiddish music) in Israel. A few weeks ago, an
Israeli friend of mine and a few friends of his, all Israeli, went to
Sammy's Steakhouse, a Jewish-style Romanian restaurant on the Lower East
Side in NYC.   It's a laid-back, heymishe sort of a place, good
Eastern-European food and lots of it, Yiddish on the menu and on the walls.
There was Israeli music pumping, and soon after we got there, a duo started
performing Yiddish and Hebrew songs - Yiddishe Momme, Hava Nagila and the
like.    I got into a lively discussion with an Israeli sitting next to me,
who was telling me how much he hates anything associated with Yiddish, how
he can't stand this music, and how this is exactly the reason he wanted to
get away from Israel.  This was grandma and grandpa's music, and they were
in the way of progress of the Israel. Israel was too "Jewish" because of
them.  He thinks of Israel as a secular, progressive nation, not as a nation
of Yiddish-speaking Holocaust survivors. I listened patiently, and did tell
him that I was myself an Yiddish singer.  As far as he was concerned,
however, this was "OK" for American Jews or Russian Jews such as myself.
Sing Yiddish all you want, rejoice in your religion, culture, whatever, just
don't bring it into Israel (and I hope I'm not misquoting his attitude).

Anyway, we had a pretty interesting chat, and I can't say I was angered at
all by his attutde. We all often cringe from being too closely associated
with our own roots, this is understandable.

What happened next that evening wasn't anything I could have expected -
vodka was flowing freely, soon there was a faint smell of pot, and some of
the Israelis in the group got up to dance. A few horas later, my skeptical
friend got up to dance, and soon enough the place was a mayhem - the whole
group was dancing in circles to Hebrew dances, Yiddish dances, some American
classics, and back to klezmer, Hebrew. The waiters came out and started
smashing the dishes, and dancing and singing Greek songs.   Everyone was
dancing, singing, laughing. Self-denial or not, these Hebrew and Yiddish
songs were ones everyone knew, and once my Israeli friends let go (perhaps
aided by alcohol), they were having the time of their life.  It was truly a
joyous moment.   And I don't think that my Israeli acquiantance went back to
Israel and bought any Yiddish records, but I bet he did go home to his
grandma and tell her about this restaurant in New York "she would enjoy",
and he will remember this crazy night for a long time, and maybe think
before denying any association with this "Jewish" culture.

Just wanted to share this story....

Take care, and for all in my part of the world, have a wonderful
Thanksgiving!

Love,
Inna

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->