Klezical Tradition upcoming performances

The Klezical Tradition will be performing on the following dates in December:

Sunday, December 2, Congregation Beth El in Fairfield, CT at 3:00pm.  With
guest musicians Marty Confurious on bass and Larry Eagle on drums.  A mix of
traditional klezmer and Yiddish together with cantorial selections sung by
Cantor Arthur Mayer. Call 203-374-5544 for ticket info and directions.

Sunday, December 9 at Tonic on the Lower East Side for a bisl freylekhe
Khanuke! 107 Norfolk Street. 1:30 and 3:00 sets. Come for both! $10 each or
$15 for both. No reservations really needed. Just come and enjoy the music,
shmooze and have a bite to eat as well; The food is great! Our award-winning
CD will be on sale.

Sunday, December 16, Manchester, CT; Chanuka Party; 3:30. E-mail
wmamlok (at) snet(dot)net for contact number.

First Night Westport, (CT)!  December 31. Be there! 8:30-11:30pm; Kings
Highway School. Call 203-454-6699.  Plan to bring in the New Year 2002 with
Yiddish song and
dance! Recordings will be on sale.

Also, for those of you who are in Connecticut, we will be featured in two
half-hour  programs of the "Jewish Forum" cable show hosted by comedian Joey
Russel. Watch your listings for airing in the near future.

If you're really looking ahead on your calendar, plan on coming to the Boston
MA area at Temple Sinai in Brookline for a Kabbalat Shabat concert on March
29 (yes, Good Friday; seders are Wednesday and Thursday so bring the entire
family!).
Call (617) 277-5888 for further information.

Some highlights from our concert reviews:

"The Klezical Tradition's music for our concert series was by far - and
continues to be every year - the best entertainment for our audiences. We
must provide concerts that reach a wide range of ages and cultures and,
evidenced by the largest crowd we’ve ever had (over two thousand!), you are
providing just that." Levitt Pavilion series.

"How energetic and raw spirited you all are, yet so musically polished! Your
concert was fabulous and we hope you’ll be part of our series again next
year. The audience response demands it!”
Jewish Federation, Greater Waterbury

"Out of the 18 years of programming musical events each week in the summer,
there have been only 3 or 4 that were truly memorable. Your evening of
Gebirtig songs has to be counted right at the top. It was as if you were
singing to each one of us in the audience personally, and taking us by the
hand to be in Gebirtig's presence. Awesome!"
World Fellowship Center

Awards, plus reviews of our CD "Family Portrait:"

*Top 10 Klezmer CD’s of 1999, Moment Magazine
*Best Albums of 1999, NY Jewish Week
*Top 20 bands for “essential klezmer library,” Essential Klezmer, Rogovoy
*ABC Documentary film feature: “A Sacred Noise: The New Jewish Music”

"An unalloyed delight, from the old family photos in the booklet to the
lively interpretations of old chestnuts like "Russian Sher" and "Die Goldene
Khasene." Difficult to single out any one contribution on a record as good as
this, but Adrianne Greenbaum's rollicking piccolo is a pungent and unexpected
reminder of how many of the old klezmorim learned their trade in East
European military bands. A set that managed to be traditional and fresh at
the same time." Rating:5 stars George Robinson, NY Jewish Week

"An effortless authenticity pervades the debut recording of this New England
based acoustic quartet, which takes listeners on a spirited, witty journey
through New World Yiddishkeit, including early 20th century instrumental
music and Yiddish theater songs. Vocalist Fraidy Katz sounds like she just
walked off a Second Avenue stage." Seth Rogovoy

"Presenting klezmer music in its rich, traditional old-world style is The
Klezical Tradition's "Family Portrait," a disc packed with dance tunes and
poignant Yiddish songs and reminiscences that recreate Jewish life in the
shtetls and cities of Europe." Gideon Aranoff, Forward

"A fresh and innovative approach to our eastern European musical heritage -
and a family connection that adds just the right touch of heymishkeit!"
Hankus Netsky, Director, Klezmer Conservatory Band

"A heymish and musically interesting journey using familiar and in some cases
rarely recorded Yiddish gems, tastefully interwoven with comments from
oldtimers..."Zalmen Mlotek, pianist, conductor, Yiddish Theater