Sacred Music Festival 2001 (Vancouver)

Sacred Music Festival 2001
Vancouver, British Columbia

Performing Artists and Schedule

Saturday, Nov. 10
St. Andrew's Wesley Church(!!)

6 p.m.:  Havdalah -- Jewish Sabbath Ceremony
"Three stars have appeared in the sky. Havdalah, (the 'Separation' of
the holy day from the days of work) begins. We give thanks for the
Sabbath day that is now ending. We are grateful for its many
blessings: for peace and joy, rest for the body, and refreshment for
the soul. We hope that something of its meaning and message remains
with us as we enter the new week, lifting all we do to a higher place
of holiness."

Rabbi David Mivasair and Myrna Rabinowitz from the Or Sholom Jewish
Spiritual Community invite you to join them in this beautiful ritual
which reminds us to carry the sacred with us always, in our everyday
lives.

Sunday, Nov. 11

Temple Sholom Synagogue

3 p.m.:  Crossroads Ensemble -- Jewish, Arabic and Sufi Traditions
Crossroads brings together an outstanding groups of vocalists and
instrumentalists in a unique exploration of musical traditions
spanning the Jewish, Turkish and Arab worlds.

>From Sufi mystical poetry set to music to Ashkenazi and Sephardi
tunes, to classical Arab melodies, the repertoire is diverse, but
reveals common themes. The performers combine a knowledge and love of
the traditions with improvisational brilliance to create a magical
blend of old and new, familiar and novel.

Transcending geographical and political boundaries, Crossroads seeks
the universality of musical experience.

Wendy B. Stuart -- artistic director and piano; Alisa Kort -- voice;
Nur-Jehan (Nancy) Fischer -- voice; Andre Thibault -- strings and
percussion; Ron Stelting -- percussion; Joseph "Pepe" Danza --
percussion

8 p.m.:  Echoes of Gerineldo -- Sephardic Jewish Ensemble
Echoes of Gerineldo is a Toronto-based ensemble specializing in
traditional presentations of the Moroccan Judeo-Spanish (Ladino) song
repertoire. Its members are mainly from the Moroccan Sephardic
community, and it has its roots in the group Gerineldo, founded in
1981 by Oro Anahory-Librowicz in Montreal. The founding members drew
on their own family traditions and on fieldwork to present authentic
but little-known songs in their concerts. Echoes of Gerineldo
performs in a communicative, relaxed style, sharing both the music
and its background with the audience, and often encouraging their
participation. The repertoire, sung a capella or with traditional
string and percussion instruments, includes songs from the Jewish
calendar of holidays, life cycle songs, old ballads (romances) and
early 20th-century local songs. The core members include Judith
Cohen, who teaches at York University, and whose research in the
traditions formed the basis of her Ph.D. dissertation; her teenaged
daughter, Tamar Cohen Adams; and Solly Levy, the author of several
plays and poems in haketia, Moroccan Judeo-Spanish. They are often
joined by Charly Edry, virtuoso Moroccan-Israeli violinist.

Judith Cohen -- voice; Tamar Cohen Adams -- voice; Solly Levy --
voice and multi-instruments; Charly Edry - violin

Tickets are available at the following locations:

Festival Office (by phone, post or e-mail), (604) 732-6632, #301-2286
West 5th Avenue. Vancouver, B.C. V6K 1S3
tickets (at) sacredmusicvancouver(dot)org

Banyen Books and Sound, 2671 West Broadway, Vancouver, (604) 737-8858
or 1-800-663-8442 (no service charge)

Highlife Records, 1317 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, (604) 251-6964

Full weekend Pass: $75
Youth and Elders Weekend Passes: $60
Full Day Pass (1 p.m.-10:30 p.m.) : $30
Youth and Elders Full Day Pass: $25
Evening Only (6 p.m.-10:30 p.m.): $25
Little Ones (under 12) Full Day Pass: $5 at the door

Visa and MasterCard are welcomed in advance and at the door.

Please Note: Ticket outlets may ask you to provide proof of age for
youth (12-18) and elders (over 65)

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail