Re: Budowitz Concert Review

I don´t know how often I´ve heard Budowitz since 1995 - surely some more than
10 times! I heard them in several different
formations. On the one hand it was the music that brought me into their
concerts again and again but on the other hand also the
vitality of their life playing and the kind of communication that Hester Lox
described in his review. It´s a pleasure how they are
in touch with each other. The CD´s of Budowitz are great - they are my
favorites, but you must hear - and see - them on stage
...!  Josh is an extraordinary creative musician and the head of the band. I
needn´t say to you all that he is one of the best - if not
the best - Klezmer accordion and tsimbl player in the old style and a leading
Klezmer musicologist, too. E.g. his habit of playing every single phrase in
countless different micro-variations makes listening more interesting and
exciting the more
often you have listened to him. The three hungarians, Tamás Gombai, violin,
Zsolt Kürtösi, cello and Sándor Tóth, kontra, are
also playing Hungarian music with each other. First of all I will say that it
is pure fun to see Sándor playing his kontra part. He
supports the group with his sly, warm and relaxed attention and his playing
gives the group much energy. Zsolts cello playing is
rough - I like that - and creative, too. He thinks very melodic without loosing
his fundamental function and you should listen
sometimes especially to his lines when you should have the chance to hear them
life. Tamás is a very virtuous violin player and
plays his part - often doubling the clarinet melody in a lower (or the same)
octave - in a very sensitive way. When I heard last
year that Merlin Shepherd would leave the band I was very sad - I couldn´t
imagine that anybody could substitute for this
exceptional virtuous player and master of the old style (and with this dry
British humor) in a reasonable way. For me he often
had something of a snake-charmer. I was very positively surprised when I heard
Budowitz the first (and only) time with
Christian Dawid. Of course his kind of playing is different to Merlins but fits
fine to Budowitz. He is also very virtuous and from
the first to the last note very present and in touch with the others.
You realy can feel a special intimacy between them all.
And the music is great and touching!

Budowitz is one of the bright spots in the German Klezmer landscape and I hope
they will continue touring here when Josh is
now based in California. I wish them great success in the US!

Monika Feil
Erlangen, Germany

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->