JEWISH-MUSIC digest 2019

Dear List members who are cantors and cantorial soloists,

I'm sure almost all sermons tonight will address the horrific events of
last Tuesday.  I believe one excellent song for after-sermon is Nomi
Shemer's "Al Kol Ele".  I'm doing one verse in the original Hebrew and two
verses of Judy Eisenstein's translation, which I've updated to better
relate to the present situation.  Here's a sample of one verse:

Guard our homes, O Lord, I pray You, and the gardens and the walls
From all anguish, sudden terror, and from cruel war.
Guard the land that You have given, guard the children, guard the town,
Guard the fruit that hasn't ripened and the grain that's grown.

Grant them blessing, grant them blessing, peace and blessing I entreat,
Bless the honey and the thistle, bless the bitter with the sweet.
Oh, uproot not what we have planted, keep our common hope alive,
And our prayer for peace and blessing, let our homeland ever thrive.
(alternative last line: "Let our whole world every thrive".)

L'shanah Tovah to you all,

Isabelle Ganz
Cantorial Soloist, Temple Sinai, Houston, TX