Re: Tisha B'Av / Tu B'Av

It's *Tu* B'av--the 15th (just as Basya said)--not Tisha B'Av, the ninth.
The latter is, of course, a day of deep mourning (sadly timely now, no?--and
I've never been a big Tisha B'Av Jew).  The former is a day of great
joy--when, according to a tradition whose source I don't remember, Jewish
women would present themselves to Jewish men they desired and seek them out
for husbands--sort of a Jewish Sadie Hawkins Day.

The Carlebach Shul has made a wonderful tradition of festive rejoicing
surrounding this day, and I think their asking Basya et al. to perform is a
gevalt!

--Robert cohen