RE: Barenboim and Wagner and programs

Slightly off this thread, but I need some opinions.

Before Barenboim made the news, the Michigan Chamber Society made
arrangements to bring him to our community during the month of Dec.  Around
his performance they want to schedule, with in the Jewish and Arab
communities here, programs on the subject of 'peace in the middle east.'
 They (the Chamber society) explained to us that he is very into the cause
of peace.  The Chamber society does not think it a good idea to arrange
dialogue programs (or even joint programs) between the Jewish and Arab
communities, since tensions are too high right now.  They just want both of
us to have lectures or programs and have it all billed together in their
marketing, designed around his concert...

Michiganders on this list- has the Chamber Society approached you?  Are you
planning anything?

Do people think that this is a program(s) they would be involved in,
especially given the current situation?

Please let me know.  Thanks.

-Katie Marcus
Program Coordinator, Jewish Life & Learning
Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit
6600 West Maple Road
West Bloomfield, MI 48322
(248) 661-7649