Re: Disaster in France

Original (July 10) message:

Does anyone have any more info on the dead and
wounded in this calamity? I see it happened
Friday; still I found nothing in today's or
yesterday's papers. Nothing today on the web
either.

Eliott Kahn

As of Sunday, the death toll resulting
 from a falling tree at Friday night's Yiddish
concert near Strasbourg, France remained at 11,
according to press reports.

Six women and four men were killed on the spot,
while another woman died of her injuries on
Saturday. Eighty-five people were injured and
more than 40 others remained in the hospital
Sunday.

The huge tree toppled during the concert on the
grounds of the Chateau de Pourtales, just north
of Strasbourg.

French health minister Bernard Kouchner said
concert organizers cannot be blamed for the
tragedy.

Said Kouchner, formerly the United Nations'
chief representative to Kosovo:  "Neither
tornadoes nor bad weather are the responsibility
of the town or of the government."

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail