Re: Rossi (et al.)

I enjoyed Alex's mellow ('at a distance') reflections here.  And as it
happens, I've often made the (seemingly anomalous) comparison of Debbie
Friedman with Rossi:  to wit, they both set Hebrew texts in the musical
style (or, obviously, one of the musical styles) of their time.  I'm afraid
that will horrify those for whom the art music vs. popular/folk music
distinction is key--and, obviously, the comparison doesn't extend at all to
that dimension (whereas it does vis-a-vis Rossi and, say, Sulzer--and by
extension, as I've argued, Schubert).

BTW, and for what it's worth (sorry, FWIW), I don't myself feel a need to
"lay claim" to Rossi's music (or anyone else's) as Jewish; for me, it's a
straightforward recognition that his was the music (as, again, per Richard
Neuman) of the Jews of a certain time and place.  As Debbie Friedman's is,
today.  Both intended that their music be used *as* Jewish music--i.e., by
Jews in Jewish contexts.  Though, as Alex perceptively points out, that
wouldn't strictly speaking be necessary, if a Jewish community eventually
used their music Jewishly regardless of their intention--or of the music's
source.

I don't know if Schubert intended his piece to be used as liturgical music
in the synagogue, but it stands to reason that he did.  Certainly his friend
Sulzer intended Schubert's Psalm 92 to be used that way, or he wouldn't have
published it, as he did, in a volume consisting mostly of his own music
(i.e., his own settings of liturgical text).  And Sulzer *clearly* intended
*his* (Sulzer's) music to be used in synagogue.

Thanks for the comments, Alex.

--Robert Cohen