Re: Baltimore Consort

They do a wonderful setting of Jonah "Unto The Prophet Jonas I Read" on
Watkins Ale to the tune of Packington's Pound. I wrote Mary Anne Ballard,
got the whole Ballad Broadside, selected about eight of the twenty or so
verses, and introduced it at my minyan at the Yom Kippur afternoon reading
of Jonah, which I did conventionally first (Haftorah trop, etc.) and then
the broadside version. It's become something of an annual tradition, and at
least one other minyan has done it as well.

They also do a heartwrenching version of By the Waters of Babylon ("Estans
assis aux rives aquatiques" on "La Rocque 'n' Roll" which I have led at
Tisha B'Av.

Hmm...does that now make these selections Jewish music???

<Broad Grin>

Joel

At 01:52 PM 6/12/01 -0400, Richard Kamins wrote:
>The Baltimore Consort was founded in 1980 to perform the repertory for
>Elizabethan consort, a specific instrumentation of treble viol, flute, lute,
>cittern, bandora and bass viol. Familiarity with English music quickly led
>to an interest in broadside ballads and in Scottish airs and dances. A
>program of Scottish music was first presented in 1983, shortly after the
>Consort's New York debut in the Music Before 1800 series. In 1985 a program
>entitled The Ballad Monger explored the relationship between "folk" and
>"art" music in England and incorporated a virginal into the ensemble. Since
>that time, the Baltimore consort has concentrated on British, French, and
>Italian music of the 16th and 17th centuries, with special attention to
>improvising and creating arrangements in the style of that period.

<snip>

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com