Re: new word

Responding to the message of <3B225F63(dot)9264A7DF (at) yorku(dot)ca>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Hi, just thought I'd share an appealing new multi-syllabic word with
> you, coined only yesterday by a colleague (that's the music connection).
> I'd told her I was beginning to suspect myself of being a curmudgeon,
> and she responded by defending, for certain occasions (also the music
> connection):
>
> curmudgeonlikhkeit.
>
> Enjoy!  Judith

I suspect there's at least one Yiddish synonym out there already.  However, in
keeping with recent threads, the fact that the etymology of this new word
indicates foreign influence doesn't make it any less Jewish.  Mit a bisl mazl
we'll never hear it in the lyrics of one of those 'Jewish' dance numbers that
evangelicals use to proselytize.

It really rolls off the tongue easily!

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)