From: Philip Todres
To: Fay Singer ; Matthew Reid
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 6:12 AM
Subject: Fw: Sunday 17 June - Please Come Along!

This is the message I e-mailed out to people I knew.

In aid of the Cape Jewish Seniors Association.
Please email me for tickets.
YIDDISH SONG FESTIVAL

BA MIR BISTU SHEYN

Songs of Life & Beauty

starring AVIVA PELHAM

with BEVERLEY CHIAT and JEFF WEINER

under the Musical Direction of Matthew Reid and Fay Singer

and featuring the Simcha Klezmer Ensemble

with Stefan Lombard on piano

6:00pm Sunday 17 June at the Baxter Theatre Centre

Tickets R45.00 Telephone Beth at (021) 434 9691

The first Yiddish Song Festival, titled BA MIR BISTU SHEYN : SONGS OF LIFE &
BEAUTY, has been arranged by the Cape Jewish Seniors Association as a
fund-raiser, to assist the organisation in its mission of "adding life to
years."

Through the medium of song you are taken on a nostalgic voyage, in Yiddish and
English, to a world that seems gentler, simpler and often poignant. The
particular genre of Yiddish Song has been sadly neglected for many years.
Today, as we increasingly nurture and re-evaluate our heritage, these songs
provide an evocative picture of a rich and diverse social history.

Yiddish songs recall life in the 'shtetl' - villages in Eastern Europe. Songs
record migration to America, and dislocation of families. Songs celebrate
occasions with wit or pathos,  encapsulating heartfelt sentiments in a
compelling way. And the songs reflect influences from the strictly traditional
folk ethos of Eastern Europe to the jazz milieu of the USA.

Many of the melodies have been associated with artists such as Joan Baez and
Nana Mouskouri. The Andrew Sisters made 'Ba Mir Bistu Shein' into a hit
recording. The melodies and sentiments have a universal appeal.

The selection of songs, around the theme of SONGS OF LIFE & BEAUTY, span more
than one hundred years of Yiddish Song.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->