one more thing

 At the risk of being overly sentimental, I'd like to finish the Rita story by
posting my dvar torah that I gave on Sept 27.  I drew the inspiration largely
from the Jewish Music list and continue to learn from  and be inspired by all
of you.
Helen
It all began with a love of dance and the internet.  All my life I've been
dancing Bulgarian wedding dances, Hungarian wedding dances, Romanian wedding
dances, but never a Jewish wedding dance.  One day while surfing the web, I
found out about something called the kosher dance.  Enthralled, I located and
purchased an old out of print book about Eastern European Jewish dances.  From
it, I learned that the kosher dance is really part of a larger dance family,
the mitzvah dances; these are the dances for and with the bride and groom at
the wedding which fulfill the mitzvah or commandment of bringing joy to the
newly married couple on their wedding day.

Thus, I entered the world of the 19th century Eastern European Jewish wedding.
I learned about the badkhn or wedding jester, whose job it was to bring the
bride, the groom and guests to tears.  For although weddings were joyous, there
was also the mood of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.  It symbolized the
serious commitment being made and also the era of mourning after the
destruction of the temple.  I learned about the klezmorim, both derided and
cherished by the community for the music they provided.  In the virtual world I
met modern day klezmorim who spend their days searching for traces of our music
in the memories of elderly Jews and Gypsies.  I also met scholars of Jewish
dance-people who traipse around Poland trying to coax out almost forgotten
dances from the minds of octogenarians.

It seemed to me that it was Bahsert or pre-determined that our Haftorah portion
today uses a wedding metaphor.  It is clear, after all my research, that
weddings have always had a central role in the lives of the Jewish people. In
today's Haftorah, we learn of the Joy of Hashem in the Jewish people "as the
bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride."  It is also through the mitzvah and
sanctity of the Jewish wedding that Jay and I are here celebrating with Rachel,
Leora and Rita, this double bat mitzvah.

Thirteen years ago, when Rita was born, it was also a time of strong emotion,
of laughter through the tears.  Was I up to the task of being Rita's mother? It
says in our haftorah "the garden causeth the seeds that are in it to spring
forth."  And so it has been.  Rita has grown and I have been the gardener; yet,
in another sense I have grown through knowing her, and she has been the
gardener.  So we stand before you today, mother and daughter; I am a different
person today than I was 13 years ago, because of Rita.  She now is coming to
adulthood and growing independence.  She is achieving things that 13 years ago,
we may not have dreamed of.

It says in our Haftorah that "Thou shalt no more be Forsaken; neither shall thy
land any more be desolate."  This is the truth.  We have a richness and joy in
our lives because of Rita and we delight in her and her many achievements as
the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride.

Rita is now a Jewish adult and I as her mother continue to grow.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->