Re: P.S.

We have reached a comfortable place in my shul where we have the ark on one end
and the torah table at the other and a smaller lectern for the person leading
the service a few yards in front of it (both facing the ark), and the seating
following the Sefardi model with the chairs on both sides facing the center, so
everyone can hear well and see what they need to.  It works for us.
Lorele