She said/He said???

Dear friends:

The bizarre response to my several paragraphs of not too long ago responding
to Shirona's description of an egalitarian traditional service she attended
seems to me (no doubt mistakenly ...) to require a response--a forceful
(and, I'm afraid, long--and certainly, delayed; couldn't be helped)
response.

First, I'm sorry to have disappointed some undoubted well-wishers on this
list who felt that my remarks--which actually seemed to me pretty restrained
(!), and whose gist I continue to believe--were overly harsh or personal.
(I'm trying to separate that out from some folks' not agreeing with
me--which is another matter altogether.) I'm going to simply leap to the
provisional conclusion that if some (though, I should add, not all) good
folk thought so, perhaps it _was_ so. I certainly don't intend to introduce
incivility to this list--and in terms of this broader discussion, I don't
think it was I who introduced it. I perhaps should have kept Shirona's name
out of my response, for one thing--I mentioned her name once, which may have
been once too often. (Although Winston rebukes me for *not* mentioning her
name!--more often, I guess--and although it will be impossible to coherently
respond here *without* mentioning it...) I was responding to what seemed to
me--and still seems--an endless series of self-righteous, intolerant
postings mostly from one source; it's hard to (forcefully) criticize the
attitude without criticizing the poster--though it's no doubt an effort
worth making.

And I clearly erred in mistaking Shirona's description of a service for the
service itself. I happily stand corrected and (also happily) accept sister
Lorele's description of the service as the correct one--indeed, I should
have inferred so from Moshe Adler's position as spiritual leader. He would
not preside over a carnival.

Having said that, I must demur from one small piece of sister Lorele's
valiant, and laudable, defense of her shul: She really cannot say that "no
one was negatively affected by Shirona's watching them." How can she say?
How can they, perhaps, even say? I continue to believe, strongly--sister
Lorele perhaps and sister Reyzl definitely to the contrary
notwithstanding--that observing others davening--with pride, with curiosity,
or otherwise--has absolutely no place in any place of (serious) worship. And
that, if you're not bothered by people watching you, then you either weren't
aware they were watching (which is certainly possible--and might bespeak a
*high* degree of focus in prayer) or, less happily, you weren't, at that
moment, very focused in prayer at all. (Or you may have been very focused
til the moment you realized you were being watched, which is part of the
point.)

It is, no doubt, possible for people to be inspired by watching others pray;
I know of this. And my own intensely disapproving (or overheated?) reaction
may in part stem from my exceedingly disliking, myself, feeling watched
during prayer (*not* necessarily by women!)--It's incompatible, for me, with
the spiritual communion that is the goal of prayer: the unself-conscious
sense of "dissolving of the self ... of union ... of infinite spacelessness"
that a neurologist (!) recently identified as corresponding with states of
prayer and meditation. (He's the author of the forthcoming book WHY GOD
WON'T GO AWAY [!].) Indeed, sister Reyzl's comments only make things worse.
To watch men at prayer to see if they're uncomfortable, angry, guilty
(!--How can you tell?), or resentful--none of this is appropriate behavior
in a synagogue or minyan.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, many women whom I've talked with, or
heard from, like being separated in shul so they *won't* be watched. Why
aren't men entitled to the same respect?

Now having said *that,* attention must--or I think should--be paid to the
preposterous, ignorant, condescending, and/or hostile responses that my few
paragraphs occasioned (or, apparently, provoked):

1) A small footnote (not covered by the description above): Moshe Adler
*was* married to (the feminist theologian, as she was described) Rachel, but
they have been divorced for many, many years. I'm not going to enlarge on
that; but I *will* observe, though only Rav Moshe knows, that I suspect that
his (Moshe's) openness to egalitarianism in davening is, at best,
problematically and complexly related to Rachel's own understanding of the
intersection of Judaism and feminism.

2) While I'm on this subject: Winston W., in a posting that begins by
observing that I was not "reading Shirona's posting properly," charges,
bizarrely, that I "attack" Rabbi Adler "for his leadership." I do? Where? I
may or may not have read Shirona's posting properly, but Winston doesn't
seem to have read mine at all. I had, and have, nothing but regard for Rabbi
Adler, and I expressed nothing but regard in my posting--which Winston
surely *didn't* read "properly."

3) Winston also, perhaps meaning it lightheartedly, indicates that he put
together a program of women's music for my ... enlightenment? edification?
(That's not, of course, why he did it, but he seems to suggest that it might
serve that purpose.) Well, I'm always ready to hear new music--including new
women's music; including Shirona's, which has been praised highly here--but
this is a bit much, even lightheartedly.

Listen up, Winston et al.: I've been showcasing and promoting Jewish women's
music well before the Internet, on which you transmit your programs,
Winston, existed--and continue to do so right up to the present and, G*d
willing, (already scheduled) future. In some 100 radio programs, on
prime-time (and drive-time, and late-night) New York City radio; on National
Public Radio; in hundreds of lectures and classes, where I've introduced
Jewish women's music to audiences that would probably never have heard it
otherwise; in magazine articles; in my forthcoming CD. (Indeed, I give
entire lecture/presentations on Women in American-Jewish music.) Given the
opportunities I've had (and created)--and, more to the point, availed myself
of--it's questionable that anyone on this list has done more--or, maybe,
even as much--to promote Jewish women's music to more people than I have,
over as long as I have.

On my New York radio shows, btw, I broadcast-premiered any number of women
singers and albums; proudly showcased Debbie Friedman more than 20 years
before Carnegie Hall, and many years before so much of the Jewish world
embraced her; and invited as guests the first invested woman cantor in this
country, the first woman member of the Rabbinical Assembly, and the first
woman rabbinical student at JTS--as well as many of our most prominent
Jewish feminists (Rachel Adler, btw, included). I didn't agree with
everything all of them said, but I believed in giving exposure to a very
wide range of voices in Jewish life, including views both more and less
"traditional" than my own, on any number of subjects.

One of the finest compliments I ever received, from a woman friend rather
more feminist and religiously liberal than I, was that I was a genuine
pluralist--one of the few she had ever known. I wonder whether the same
could be said of a few of the intolerant, self-righteous voices we've heard
from here--who profess respect for diverse views but don't, it seems from
various discussions, actually respect them.

4) As icing on this particular cake, Shirona actually suggests--also maybe
lightheartedly, I suppose, but surely seriously as well--that, since (?) I
was offended, as I am, by her observational behavior in shul, I naturally
(?) would take a contrarian position regarding what Shirona calls "cultural
cross-pollination" in Jewish music.

Surprise: I've studied, taught, and written and broadcasted about the
"cross-pollination" evident in American (and other) Jewish music for
somewhere between 15 and 25 years, and studied, taught, written about, and
celebrated (within appropriate parameters) the borrowing of melodies in
Jewish prayer in particular (though many authorities, and some of my own
teachers, are dubious or disapproving about the practice)--including
lecturing for groups of cantors on the phenomenon; collecting scores, or
hundreds, of examples of borrowings; and even inspiring and generating some
original borrowings. Indeed, some of my students learned the concept of
borrowing melodies for prayer from me (hopefully, within the [fluid]
parameters I taught!) and went on to incorporate the practice into their own
Jewish lives.

If we are to avoid labeling, which one poster gently seemed to suggest I was
doing, why not begin by not attributing all manner of demonized beliefs to
those we disagree with?

5) Instead, a number of posters made some preposterous inferences from my
few paragraphs. (And in the age of Rush Limbaugh, aren't people embarrassed
to "ditto" others rather than think for themselves?) One of Winston's
correspondents (who did not intend, it turns out, for Winston to post his
remarks) pronounced himself "on the opposite end of the religious/political
spectrum" from me. Huh? How in the world does he know where I am on either
spectrum (as if that's a simple matter of, uh, labeling, anyway). Maybe he's
in touch with Shirona, who avers that she and others "know where I'm coming
from" (well no, actually, you don't) and depreciates the "values" I'm
"desperately holding on to"? Huh? Which values? Modesty and humility (*not*
pride, which I believe has no place) in prayer? Unself-conscious focus and
intensity in the synagogue?

Oh--and in *what* synagogues should perhaps be touched on too, since
Winston, for example, absurdly infers that I was offended by "a congregation
[the one Shirona visited] that "has come out of the 18th century." Putting
aside what Winston or any of us knows or doesn't know about 18th-century
worship--I suspect that some 18th- and 19th-century congregations probably
resembled some of today's more formal liberal (non-Orthodox) synagogues than
they did, say, Orthodox minyanim--here's what _I_ know: I've davened,
studied, and taught in Reform, Conservative, and various styles of Orthodox
synagogues; with Hassidic and neo-Hassidic congregations; in havurot and
egalitarian minyanim (one of which, in fact, I co-founded); and in Jewish
Renewal settings.

(A delicious footnote: Lorele advises that in her shul--which was the
original locus of controversy--a group of worshipers--herself included--sing
settings of Salamone Rossi at services, thus bringing the *16th century [and
the 17th] into their congregation!)

What I wrote may have been overheated or too personal in tone, but it
doesn't approach--remotely--the distortions and vitriol, let alone the sheer
stupid, sexist, misandrous rubbish, that it elicited from others (in
postings some of which you haven't seen). I resent it, and it ought to give
rise to a great deal of soul-searching on the part of some posters and
correspondents.

Meanwhile, I'll continue, "in touch with my own conscience," as Shirona has
it, to try to reflect what Lorele calls "the courage to act on what [I] feel
is correct." (A group of traditionalist Conservative rabbis--not my rebbes,
by the way--manifested that, and had "the guts to act on [their]
beliefs--even in the face of a hostile peer environment" [Shirona's words
again], and so broke with many in_their_ peer group, the Conservative
movement and, I think, the Rabbinical Assembly, in part on the issue of
ordaining women; do Shirona and others respect, and honor, them?)

I'll try, along the way, to seek guidance from the One whose will I do not
know (unlike several posters, who professed *to* know) but can only
seek--perhaps, sometimes, in moments of blissfully unobserved,
un-"performed," unproud prayer. (I do not, myself, allow for enough of
them.) May every one of us--those who agree with me and those who don't;
those who have offended me and those (the same people?) whom I have
offended--know that special place in the heart--and be able to get there
whenever we need to.
--Robert Cohen

"To be nobody but myself--in a world which is doing its best, night and day,
to make you everybody else--means to fight the hardest battle which any
human being can fight, and never stop fighting."
--e. e. cummings