Re: Champions of Hazzanut (was: Shevach/Salonika)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Weiss" <samweiss (at) bellatlantic(dot)net>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 3:11 PM
Subject: Champions of Hazzanut (was: Shevach/Salonika)

<snip>
> I believe that there is litte difference between non-Orthodox Champions of
> Hazzanut and Orthodox C.O.H.'s insofar as they both worry about
> =displacement= of Hazzanut, and they both are unworried about the
> =co-existence= of all types liturgical singing.  An important
> distinction also exists
> between C.O.H.'s =in the synagogue=  (these tend to be Non-Orthodox, and
> are
> predominantly cantors) and those who simply champion Hazzanut  =as an art
> form= (these tend to be Orthodox, and are predominantly lay people).  The
> reason why the former category usually does not comprise the Orthodox is
> because the virtual displacement of Hazzanut in the general American and
> Israeli
> Orthodox synagogoue, other than on the High Holidays, has already
> occured.  (I
> lack sufficient information regarding the European situation.)

There is no single type of Orthodox Hazzan, but the distinctions can be
subtle.  A few years ago, PBS had an interesting program (originally done in
France) on Jewish music in different parts of the world.  The final example
was a third-generation Israeli Hazzan, who followed his father and
grandfather in the Russian style.  He complained about the German style, as
not being sad enough.