Re: Bop Trombonists (Was Re: Decline and Fall of Clarinet Empire)

Responding to the message of <3A9F268C(dot)B2ADAB13 (at) concentric(dot)net>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Yes, that's an excellent list. I didn't say that bop wasn't played on
> trombone, but it is difficult. Indeed, I think it's telling that most of
> the names you mention came along after JJ (and Kai). Rudd, as you
> probably know, started out as a Dixieland player -- hard to imagine for
> anyone who ever heard him with, say, Cecil Taylor. And Priester's best
> work is with Mingus who is sort of post-bop, but that's hairsplitting.
> I've always been especially fond of Bob Brookmeyer but that's cheating,
> 'cause he plays a valve trombone. (As did Billy Eckstine, born Eckstein
> but I don't think he's Jewish.)

It's still not a huge or purely bop list and, if you look beyond bop, it thins
out even more recently, except of course in big bands.  You don't usually hear
bones in the lineups of the most prominent small groups from bop and beyond.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455