Re: meanwhile, back at Ellis Island . . .

Which is an excellent book.

Of course, to further pursue this thread in a serious vein, two things
occur to me. First, the Zionist movement has always had a strong
tradition of people changing their "ghetto" names to hebrew ones -- Ahad
Ha'am, Eliezer Ben-Yehuda, David Ben-Gurion, Yehuda Amichai, and so on.
I suppose if I made aliyah, I'd change my name to Gedalyah Ben-Yoel,
which is the Hebrew name I've been using in my synagogue for over a
decade (another story for another time).

And of course, there is a fine American tradition of writers and artists
re-inventing themselves by changing their names -- Walter Whitman
becomes Walt Whitman, Samuel Clemens becomes Mark Twain, etc. -- a vivid
reenactment of the classic American dream of being reborn in the New
World. And, in fact, many of the Ellis Island "conversions" were
actually voluntary, not forced, the product of men and women who wanted
to become wholly American from the moment they first drew breath here.

Of course, there's also the wonderful 19th-Century opera singer Emma
Albani, who wasn't Italian but needed to sound Italian to get work --
she came from the state capital of New York and that's from whence  her
genuine Italian surname derives.

George

wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com wrote:

> I believe that my roommate for Junior Year at Hebrew University ulpan
> did just that -- changing his name from Stuart Weinberg to (Rabbi)
> Stuart Weinberg Gershon.  BTW, he's the author of "Kol Nidrei: Its
> Origin, Development, and Significance".
>
> Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->