Decline and Fall of Clarinet Empire (was Re: women musicians)

This raises an interesting question -- several really -- that I'd love
to hear the clarinetists address.

Why is the instrument held in such disrepute? Lester Young doubled on
clarinet when he first came to Count Basie; Basie told him to lose the
clarinet, that the instrument had no future in big-band-driven jazz. And
when bop came to the fore, it drove out most of the clarinetists
(despite Buddy DeFranco making a more than game effort to play bop
clarinet). Remember, before bebop came along, you had several major
leaders who played clarinet -- Goodman, Shaw, Herman (two Jews, by the
way).

So what gives?

An ancillary question, perhaps even more elusive to answer; why is
klezmer fading out in the Ortho community? Given the massive amounts of
synth-driven faux rock rubbish I hear Orthodox bands churning out, I
can't say I'm surprised, but what is the reason for this?

George (Yes, I can ask a serious question, but I try not to make a habit
of it) Robinson

--
George Robinson
Author, Essential Judaism