Re: libidinous swamps

In a message dated 2/20/01 7:09:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, judithc (at)
yorku(dot)ca
writes:

> Actually, I don't think that's quite what Shirona was saying. In any
> case, I still think that if a man feels feeble enough that any woman's
> voice is likely to arouse such uncontrollable lust, he should simply
> remove himself from the situation - HIS problem, after all. SHE should
> simply keep singing!
> Or maybe we should ALL stop talking and simply keep singing.....:)

You have come to one of the important details a number of people are
forgetting. I hope to elaborate more on this. shirona, among others, is
waiting for a reply from me on my "personal take," and I don't want to unduly
delay, (full day with the kids--Lower East Side, Gus's, Gertels, Kadouri,
etc. if you do not know about these cultural landmarks, I will fill in
another time) but briefly, one of the big problems in how people deal with
the existence of this halacha is that it is a restriction on the man, not the
woman. How the sociology interfered is a question I may not b qualified to
answer, but the prohibition is most certainly on the man. what it really
boils down to is that if there are things that will distract him from
performing certain Mitzvot, he must remove himself from the situation.

Jordan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->