Re: Resources: Black influence on American Klezmer Music?

----- Original Message -----
From: <MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 2:42 PM
Subject: Resources: Black influence on American Klezmer Music?

> To the worthy members of this list:
>
> A sponsor of concerts that we will be giving in public grade schools has
> asked that we specifically speak to the influence of Afro-American music
on
> klezmer music in America.  I would like to do justice to the request and
do
> some research.  Where would you (collectively) direct me?
>
> Thanks!
> Maxwell St. Lori

My thought is to look into the groups that mix klezmer with jazz.  I
mentioned a few days ago the klezmer trumpet solos in some Benny Goodman
recordings.  There is one example in the recordings from Goodman's Carnegie
Hall concert;"Bei Mir Bist Du Schon" has a solo by Ziggy Elman that is true
klezmer style.  The insert with the CD of the concert says that Elman also
used Klezmer solos in "And the Angels Swing" and "Frahlich in Swing"; I'm
not familiar with the last.

But these are examples of klezmer influencing jazz.  You might think about
the influence of jazz on Yiddish theater music.