Romance in the Shtetl

As an offshoot of the romanticizing of the shtetl theme, here's some info on
romance in shtetl that you can read about on the Jewish Genealogy web site. The
section is called Love Letters from the Ghetto.  Below is the introduction and
some of the letters are online at the site:
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/bolekhov/loveletters.htm
* These letters were published in several printed editions by H. M. Elendman.
The author perished as a martyr (Kidesh Hashem) in the year 1942 in Bolekhov

>From the author to the Khosn-Kale (bride and groom)

Dear Khosn-Kale (Bride and Groom),

I know how very much you're worrying , when you come home from the engagement
and you need to write a mazel-tov letter. Particularly, the first letter from
the groom to the bride and the bride to the groom -- who burns so strong and
the hearts flutter one to the other -- are difficult for you.

The teacher who taught you tashrak tsfe's [code system] and "grizlikh" writing
forgot to teach you about writing such letters. Usually you get the best town
writers and for a sheyne matbeye (a nice sum of money) he writes the letters
for you. In order that you should not need this anymore, I - who for many years
have been the town maskil [representative of the Enlightenment Movement], and I
already wrote a lot a lot of such letters, and the couples live barukh hashem
(thank G-d) besholem ubeshalve (in peace and tranquility) (they even have fine
children already) - we enjoy such various types of little letters, each person
to express according to his walk of life and his fantasy.

There even exists already little books, which are called "Letter-Writer." But
these are old fashioned; secondly not to the topic, but my letters are up to
date and very much to the point.

I hope that the kindly bride and groom will buy this book for themselves, and
then have great enjoyment and will only be thankful of me.

I wish luck to you and greet you, although we don't know each other.

>From me your friend,

Sh. E.

Helen Winkler
winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com