Re: di naye kapelye

We too, caught just the first set, and were mighty sad that we had to go. What
we saw, of course, was just the warmup, with the band also working through some
new material--that second set sounds even more intense. It's a very different
type of klezmer from what we usually hear. Zev Feldman said that it wasn't even
shtetl music--a shtetl is a town, and this is Jewish =village= music, and it
has a flow and intensity that (to me) move the soul far beyond the usual band.
(Part of this, of course, is credit to Christina and Bob and Yankl, who happen
to work extraordinarily well together.)

One of the things that I really enjoyed was the way that Yankl mixes in the
Hasidic and religious numbers, along with secular singing. In this, the band
helps recreate a sense of Eastern European Jewish village song and music beyond
just part of the klezmer repertoire. It is very much in keeping with the way
that American Klezmer revival bands will usually include much music from
Yiddish theatre, with perhaps a yiddish or (in more recent years) Sephardic
song thrown in, and an Israeli folk song or two. But here were musical
traditions played with extraordinary intensity and joy that predate all that
American experience.

We had the good fortune to arrive early and watch the band rehearse. Rather
than stand on the stage, they were gathered around the open space, playing to
each other, away from the mikes, getting New York additions Jeffrey Wallach on
fiddle up to speed, as well as a bass player, "Sprocket." I was back in
Budapest for a few gorgeous minutes, remembering how I first heard them play,
and how magical it seemed.

I gotta say that the magic is still there, and seeing Yankl Falk for the first
time perform with the band was an additional revelation. I'm pleased that it
was SRO. This is a band that deserves that, and in an even bigger venue.

ari