Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1750

hi there

I have a tape of a US klezmer ensemble that I got in Ukraine (!) and I am
hooked on at the moment but I haven't got a clue who is playing. I'd be v
grateful if anyone might know who it is. These are the clues I've got for
the klezdetectives amongst you...

1) male vocalist with v funny put-on nasal kvetsching voice singing half in
Yiddish/half in English
2) songs like 'She'll be coming round the catskills when she comes' and
'Herringboats are coming with bagels and lox'
3) fantastic, intricate arrangements with superb klezmer xylophone!

Any ideas anyone? My guess is that it's from the 40s or 50s but to be honest
that's just that - a pure guess...

thanks in advance,

jonathan
oi-va-voi.