Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1704

hi everyone,

I have heard that there was much interplay between Jewish and Gypsy music
and musicians in Eastern Europe before the war.  Could anybody advise me on
recordings/publications/lecturers on this topic?
The information is for a Europe-wide Romany festival on April 8 next year
(the organisers plan to get Jewish cultural involvement as well).

I don't know any hard facts, but it has always seemed to me that Jews and
Gypsies appear to have so much in common (socially as well as historically).
Personally I'm upset that more Jews have not publicly sided with the Roma
during the recent national debates about asylum seekers in the UK and all
the xenophobic hysteria that accompanied this. Many immigrants suffer from
short-term memories, it seems.

For the record, it is said that Jews hold a unique place in Roma culture in
that they are thought of as neither gadjo (non-gypsy) nor gypsy, but
somewhere in between.

Thanks very much,
Jonathan Walton
Oi-Va-Voi.

ps ari - have you got a romanes translation of klezmer shack yet?