Re: Glass Harmonica--Clarification

Sorry for further musings on the glass harmonica, but...

At least in one model I've seen (sans keyboard), there was a a keyboard like
layout to the color of the glasses that mimics the alternation of white and
black keys of a piano.

Pete Rushefsky

>>> BarMusProd (at) aol(dot)com 10/26 9:09 AM >>>
Dear Listers,

I would never have guessed that this thread would have gone on so long.

In a message dated 10/24/00 11:09:43 PM, bloom (at) gis(dot)net writes:

(snip)...
>The musical glasses is the original instrument, the one that Mozart et
>al
>
>composed for.  I believe that Ben Franklin invented the term Glass
>
>Harmonica, along with the idea of laying out the glasses on a common
>
>spindle, in an arrangement similar to the layout of a keyboard.

I don't think that this is correct, so I stopped using my memory and went to
one of the standards of musical instrument dictionaries: Sibyl Marcuse's
_Musical Instruments: A Comprehensive Survey_. Here is the listing under
Glass Harmonica: >...a series of tuned glass bowls pieced in the center,
strung vertically in close position on a wire spindle, and rotated by means
of a treadle; the glasses were suspended above a trough partly filled with
water. The player touched the rotating wet rims with the fingers of both
hands. The glass harmonica came into existence in 1761, when Benjamin
Franklin transformed the musical glasses into a new instrument that he called
'Armonica.' Attempts made to attach a keyboard to it were not successful
until 1784 (a glass harmonica played from a keyboard is known as a keyed
harmonica). After an initial period of popularity both types were driven out
by the harmonium in the 19th century. Mozart wrote several works for the
glass harmonica [note: for "glass harmonica," not the "musical glasses" nor
the "keyed harmonica"].<

I checked the other articles on musical glasses and keyed harmonica, just in
case and there is no mention of Mozart--only with the Franklin version of
glass harmonica.

My favorite anecdote with musical glasses in that article was: >On April 23,
1746, [opera composer] Gluck played in the Haymarket Theatre, London, "a
concerto on twenty-six drinking glasses filled with spring water." Must have
been quite a sight--and sound.

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett