Re: Old songbooks

Hi, Lori,

What details exactly do you need? I've added a few possiblilities for
compilers/publishers to the list below; I can probably find out more if
you tell me what you want to know.

I'd be really interested to know more about this list of books (as my PhD
research is on Yiddish songs and there's a lot of material there that I
haven't seen before).

Yours,

Abbi Wood

> Does anyone know about these books:
>
> Undzer Gezang - with notes - hard cover- 220 pages - Warsaw 1947.
> Yiddishe folkslider - no notes- hard cover- 480 pages- Moscow 1940.

Could be Dobrushin and Yuditski's collection, which is listed in the
Mlotek's _Songs of Generations_.

> Yiddishe folkslider- with notes- hard cover- 300 pages- New York 1912.

This could be one of the two volumes published by folklorist Y. L. Cahan
(1880-1937) (see below) by New York: The International Publishing Co. in
New York. Volume 1 is a collection of love songs; volume 2 is mixed. From
the number of pages you list, this might be vol. 2.

> Yiddishe folkslider- with notes- hard cover- 560 pages- New york 1957.

(perhaps the same as the 1957 pubilcation below?)

 Lider zum zingen- with notes- paperback-64 pages-New york 1947.
> Das gezang fon libshaft un tza'ar ( By Gevirtig)- with notes- hard
> cover- 150 pages- Tel Aviv 1962.
> Yiddishe folkslider mit naten -with notes. hard cover- 180 pages- Warsaw
> 1917.
> Zing mit mir- with notes-paperback-160 pages-New york 1945.
> Folkslider fun der milchama- no notes-paperback- 32 pages-Moscow 1944
> Bloomen-no notes-paperback-130 pages-New York 1920.
> Die fri muza- with notes-hardcover- 100 pages-Warsaw 1918.
> Yiddishe folkslider mit melodies- with notes- paperback- 560 pages- New
> York 1957.

This sounds like Cahan's collection, which was by YIVO in 1957 (some of it
was previously published in 1912, see above.) The 1957 edition, edited by
Max Weinreich, has introductory material in both English and Yiddish,
giving details of Cahan's life, work etc. There is also an index of the
songs and some details about Cahan's informants. Not all the 498 song
texts in this volume have melodies printed.

> Zion's harpe- with notes-hard cover- 160 pages-ca 1900.

The Mloteks list a 'Tzions harfe' published in Warsaw, 1917 (no names
given).